Thank you to the JPRISM 2 project for facilitating the establishment of the VRWMA and for supporting this website. JPRISM is a project funded by JICA.
The EURO 3 million SWAP Project funded through the Agence Française de Développement (AFD)will be implemented by the Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme (SPREP). The project aims to improve sanitation, environmental, social, and economic conditions in Pacific Island countries and territories through proper waste management.
SWAP focuses on four thematic areas: used oil, disaster waste, marine debris, and sustainable financing mechanisms, and includes three components:
- Component 1: Regional training programme,
- Component 2: Pilot projects, and
- Component 3: Community of practice.
SWAP aims to contribute to the:
- Prevention of environmental degradation through proper management of wastes
- Development of resilience to climate change
- Conservation of ecosystem and biodiversity
- Improvement of the quality of life of the people dependent on the quality of the natural environment for subsistence such as fishing, tourism and agricultural sectors.